Hello Again Curl Friends. I had the idea of write this a detective story but I utterly failed so it will be factual.
Lately the Hair Lab is conducting financial planning experiments, aka trying to control the full blown Product Junkie in order to not go bankrupt.
Today I will share with you: The Cantu Case.
This is the 1st brand all curlies want, because everyone loves it. I only heard of it 3 years after the beggining of my journey. So I imported from the US and spent a lot of money on a relatively cheap product. I had it imported because I thought it was hard to find it here in Germany so imagine how disappointing it was when it did not work for me as a Leave-in for wash and go (my basic style) so I left it on the “products I hate” shelf, but somehow it felt wrong since this is top on curly girl product love, also the smell is just too pungent for me.I still wanted to love it so I tried it again as a styling cream for a wash and go and my hair looked amazing for 1 day, then used it again for a wash and go, it was not good at all and I just gave up for about 3 weeks.
I started using it as an overnight prewash detangler and it worked wonders in making my wash days faster because of how detangled and soft my hair was the next morning.
A few months ago I was finally able to get good results with Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Cream for my wash and go.Things I did different:
- I Used less product.
- Applied only in the sections of my hair that do not curl well and finger coiled (this product is great for finger coiling because of the slip and quick definition it gives)
- Tried my best to overlook the smell lol.
- Used it as a stand alone product, I did not used the LOC method.
After it was 80% dry I lifted with a wide tooth comb and an afro pik and shook my head a LOT
My latest test included using 2 cantu products as follows:
- Conditioning cowash
- Cantu beauty leave in conditioning CREAM: the cream part is important to note as cream my low porosity high density, fine-medium very curly afro hair can not stand it, it is too heavy. Instead I used it as a very rich rinse out conditioner using the squish and condish method, this also deals with the scent issue.
- I oiled the hair with a coconut oi blend from the body shop
- I used Jane carte solution revitalizing conditioner as the only leave in product to heat protect.
- I used the diffuser in medium heat low speed and was ready in 15 minutes.
It def is not a holy grail product for me but I feel better knowing that I can get good results with it. Not all curlies are created equal and what one person might love the other might think meh. Still I enjoyed playing around maybe next time I can use it as Leave in again just to see what happens.