Lite: “A simpler version, or subset, of something (especially software), in which complexity is forgone for the sake of easier application (or modified application); for example: Nintendo DS lite” Wikipedia.
I have a “problem” I am a flat iron & heat tools junkie and that is unlikely to change, unless I make an effort, but change is difficult; so I propose a Lite Heat Free Challenge for the impatient Curly Girl. Care to join me? Then, read on!
The longest I have managed to be relatively heat free has been 5 months and I usually get restless after 2 months. It ocurred to me that maybe I need to embrace a lighter version of the no heat challenge in order to be successful, because I am impatient and stubborn.
Would you like to join my No Heat Lite Club, and do this heat transition journey together?
No Heat Lite Club: The idea is to have a small community of curlies who still use heat because we are still in the heat transition phase or because we like it, while still allowing for some freedom once the need for heat becomes too much.
Rules of the Lite Club
First rule of Lite Club: rules are relative, more than rules we have guidelines.
Second Rule: The flat iron is forbidden, this one is the only guideline that must always be followed.
Third Rule: If you get bored, feel tempted or need help finding styling ideas always ask for help, the club will always be there for you.
Rule four: Have fun, try new things & share what works for you.
- No flat iron during the entirety of the challenge. using it even once resets the “heat free calendar”
- Avoid the blow dryer except for diffusing.
- Diffusing allowances: Ideally always dry hair on cool, but low heat is allowed no more than once a week. Medium heat should not happen, but if it must then only once per month or it means reset of the “heat free calendar”.
- Start the “Heat Free Calendar” with a Complete Wash day Including all your important steps like pre poo, shampoo, deep conditioning and your preferred heat free styling method, mine is the wash and go.
- If your own a hooded dryer then try it out on the lowest possible setting, no more than once a week, if you don’t own one like me maybe we can find a good one together.
- Hot Rollers are allowed but only once a month and the drying and stretching should be done heat free. Blow drying + hot rollers also resets the calendar so choose this option wisely.
- Flexirods, perm rods, magnetic & foam rollers are your friends.
- Always protect your hair at night.
- Do a Wash Day only when you have time, for example on your days off ideally when you don´t need to leave the house. If you don’t have time try and refresh only or “put it in a bun” or “wrap it up”.
- Have Fun and try your best. We promise we wont judge!
Here are some styles I will be trying again for my Heat Free Challenge Lite:
My last flat iron: Sept 26 2016
Challenge Start date: Nov 27 2016
Minimum Challenge Duration: 6 months.
I will try to do styles I have done before, while learning new ones and off course sharing them with your, hair win or fail you will get to see it (I might regret this later but I feel quite motivated right now)
Let’s see if this Heat tools Junkie can survive six month without the Flat iron, join me and we can motivate and teach each other new tricks to stray true to the Curly life!
Care to follow my progress and share yours with me?
IG: @dr_vasquez_md The Hair Lab