We decided to have yet another challenge & I write we because I got brainstorming help from one of my curl friends!
A few ideas for the challenge
- This is a freestyle challenge so each one of us brings a personal twist to it.
- There are no forbidden products, all you need to do is test your old products and if you need help deciding whether to use them or not ask the rest of the group and we might be able to
- Organize your products by categories
The old products
- Garbage bin: those with smells or ingredients that I hate and the very old ones, let’s say older than a year must go in the bin. *If you don’t remember when you bought a product it is best to send in to the bin. I ended up with a huge bag of this kind that will be discarded.
- The “I like you, but forgot about you” bin: Self explanatory, basically products l liked even holy grails but stopped using in favor of our excessive hair product shopping. Prioritize to finish these ones first.
- The Swap/gift box: Here I include products that other naturals loved but that somehow did not become a favorite for me; but that have a good quality and/or overall good reviews. This serves 2 purposes: making another curly happy and if you can’t swap give it as a present and help to reduce waste, might be your curl friend just found a Holy grail thanks to you. This can also apply to unopened products that you have failed to use due to whatever reason but you think a fellow curly can love. I have received a few nice things from fellow curlies already and it really did make me very happy.
This challenge is open to everybody, everywhere. It is more like a club of curly friends who shop too much.
Our hasthtag #productjunkieclub
Our Ethos: shop smarter & more consciously
Our Goal: reduce waste and in the process save money or invest our money only on good products suited to our hair type.
A few ideas to get you started to clear out the old to make room for the new
- Group products by brand and use them together on the same wash day according to your hair needs & routines (try the same wash day at least 2 times in a row, if you like it continue the same routine until finishing the products or if you need or want a change).
- Repurchase of Holy Grails is allowed, so don’t worry you can keep your curls happy.
- Have a budget idea: setting up a budget is up to you, but using the base of another challenge I participated in (& failed miserably at) aim for $30, £30, €30 a week or the equivalent in your local currency, or whatever sum you can afford for hair care products. This is just a guideline.
- Buying products to complete existing hair lines is ideal. You can also choose to not buy anything so the budget goes from 0-30 depending on your intent. My personal intent is to reduce waste, so it makes sense for me to purchase less items and aim for zero expense, obviously this did not happen but for a few short months; once my holy grails ran out I repurchased mercilessly but lifestyle changes do take time!
- Don’t give up!
Shopping (saving) ideas
- Take advantage of seasonal sales for your favorite products.
- Enter giveaways.
- Get a subscription box, recently I joined one for £20 pounds plus shipping & I got at least 5 full sized products in each box to try at an accesible price. I have still yet to try many of them, but the ones I have tried so far have been very good and at a fraction of their retail price.
- 2 empties allow you to purchase one completely new product you have not tried before and empty holy grails can always be replaced as they empty so your curls are always on point.
- Look for eco friendly packaging when possible to reduce waste too.
If you want more info about these shopping hacks ler me know in the comments section, or on my instagram.
Happy, conscious shopping!
P.S. This is not a competition, but a collective effort to improve our consumer habits as a curly community.
Share your findings positive or negative but always saying something nice, if you follow me on IG The Hair Lab you know I am all about positive vibes so just be kind when sharing the fails, be kind to yourself & others in this curky hair adventure.
Other curly girls who have joined me since the beginning in this effort to shop more responsibly are
Feel free to follow their accounts for inspo & great tips.
We have had our ups & downs but little by little we are getting there.
May the odds be ever in your favor” The Hunger Product Junkie Games begin.
Hi my name is Lelia and I am a product junkie.