- Always wear a sunscreen for your hair & skin.
- Always saturate the hair before swimming.
- Headscarfs & Hats are a must, they protect the hair from the aggressions of the environment and look super cute.
- Do not be afraid of silicones, they do help protect your hair just make sure to remove them well after the holiday is over.
- Cowash if you intend to use the pool or swim at the beach for several days in a row.
- Keep at hand a spray bottle with either water only or water mixed with your fave conditioner.
- Take a travel kit with a few curl essentials either repack in small travel bottles your holy grails or buy one with a full set of products. I will try to review my favorite travel kit on a future blog post.
There are many ways to saturate the hair before swimming
1. Water only: this is particularly useful when using public pools where conditioner might not be allowed and/or as a courtesy to fellow swimmers.
2. Apply deep conditioner before swimming or any kind of conditioner for that matter just let it get absorbed into the hair and coat it very well. I like Aussie hair 3 minute reconstructor because it's a good one for on the go.
3. Seal with oil before swimming so that way you reduce the amount of external agents that can enter the hair shaft, you can saturate with water 1st and then seal or just seal with oil if you like (I don't do this as I use products with silicones that have a similar function but I think it is not a bad idea)
After Sun Hair Care
Apply a good conditioner right after swimming even if you don't wash or cowash your hair right after your swim, this step will prevent your hair from drying out more until the time that you do so and at the beach it would give you a very nice "summery look" and maintaining hydration while you enjoy the sunny days by the pool or at the beach.
Once back home
Clarify with a deep cleansing shampoo I like kinky curly come clean and if this step is not enough you can also use clay masks such as bentonite clay to remove any traces of product and keep your scalp clean and free from build up.
Deep condition as soon as you get back home, and more frequently 2 times a week would be ideal, your curls will thank you for that.
Consider down a protein treatment if your curls are still feeling off balance after cleansing deeply & frequent deep conditioning.
It seems like a lot to do but you can pick & choose how to protect your hair, this is just a collection of things I have found useful and I hope they can help you too.